Thursday, June 26, 2008

Auto - MAD-dic

The last time I checked the stats, it said that Delhi alone boasts of more cars than Mumbai,Calcutta, Chennai combined. If that's the case then how come there are no AutoRickshaws available in the national capital when you need them.

9:30am - I step out of my home without my trusted Kiney. For some reason I had to take an auto today on my way to a friends place.

9:35am - It starts to rain as soon as I am about to reach the Auto stand.
Standing on the road without any tool for shelter, standing next to some wiser-than-me people who were armed with umbrellas, raincoats, newspapers etc I started the hopeful process of sticking my hand out to signal the auto wallas of my interest to take a ride.

9:36am - A dozen autos pass by me and the wiser-than-me gang, with the passengers giving us sorry looks which were at the same time mocking.

9:37am - After being ignored to the hilt I decided to start walking towards a signal hoping for luck to change.

9:40am - I reach the signal. But sadly passenger-less autos did not. Rain picked up speed.

9:41-55am - I am still standing with the wiser-than-me gang, who by that time had also reached the signal.Lazy bums.

9:56 am - I spot an auto coming towards me at a slow pace, which generally means it is empty. I stretch my neck that extra inch and narrow my eyelids for a closer and cleaner view.THE AUTO IS EMPTY! Oh sweet lord! What could go wrong now??!!

9:56:40 am - Things change. Never count you autos before they stop...NEAR YOU.

9:57am - The auto stops. Yes it does. But 20 metres away from me, near one of the wiser-than-me lazy creature who took ages to come here.

9:58 am - My temperature rose as the rain poured down.

9:59 am - Then something miraculous happened. I spotted another empty auto in a space of 3 mins. This time leaving nothing to fate I ran towards it. I am sure the wiser-than-me gang also saw me running. Who is wiser now, eh!!! Lazy bums.

10:00 am - I tell my friend I am going to be a bit late...

1 comment:

Prateek said...

aah! the joy of beating the crowd to the auto!!