Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Time Time ki baat hai

So I thought about writing a post about punctuality sometime back, but delayed it. So, yes, the irony isn't lost on me.
This post is the closest I can get to punctuality, since my life is a far cry from the actual meaning of the word. As far as my memory can take me, I've been at a constant loggerhead with being on the dot. Inexplicable as it is, i'm going to go deep into the crust and dry to dig the cause.

For one, I think my body is repulsive to being on time. It rejects any hasty thoughts by the mind to adhere to the prescribed social norms of coming on time and leaving on time. My body clock has its own body clock. And I am fairly convinced that both are faulty.

More often than not this grave ignorance to time is innocuous. But not anymore. Once you start working and start getting paid, people start expecting you on time. And if you fail to meet those expectations, they start cutting your money.

My job doesn't require me to put in a shift of 8 hours to be deemed efficient. It just requires me to be efficient. In an industry where work hours dwindle between 5 mins to a moon cycle, it's a shitty policy to measure one's ability based on the hours clocked. My job is to generate ideas, besides trying to make myself feel that it is actually quite an important job. That what I do actually means something to the world. Which it frankly doesn't. No one gives a shit about advertising. So why give a shit about people coming on time as long as we fulfill our duties.

Unlike other jobs where time plays an important role, advertising works on really contorted principles. It's all about idea generation. Now ideas are these assholic things that fool you into believing that they are on their way. That they're just around the corner and will be with you shortly. But those fuckers never turn up on time. HOLY SHIT. You see what I did there?
Basically, a good ad is a good ad because it has a good idea providing the foundation. Now ,whether it took 8 hours or the entire duration of a Sooraj Barjatiya movie song, is immaterial.
So things like office rules, office policy, 9 to 5 really means bugger all. All that stuff is as useless as being selected as a Roadie in season 10.

Anyhow, I have to be somewhere and thanks to this post I am running late.

No comments: